The two turtle doves represent the gift of Scripture: the Old and New Testaments.
“For now the winter is past, the rain is over and gone. The flowers appear on the earth; the time of singing has come, and the voice of the turtledove is heard in our land” (Song of Songs 2:11-12).
“Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path.” Psalm 119: 105
“All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness.” 2 Timothy 3:16
Simple ways to teach a little one:Â
* Look at pictures and listen to the song of the turtle dove
* Look at a Bible to find the Old Testament and the New Testament (this might be a special occasion to give your child her first Bible!)
* Make a special red bookmark with two doves on it to separate the two testaments. Explain that Jesus’ coming to earth marks the movement from the first part into the second.
* Sing “Thy Word”, “The B-I-B-L-E”
* Talk about how Scripture is God’s voice, teaching and encouraging us in all things; ask the child if any verses mean a lot to him right now; share some Scripture that is meaningful to you and briefly explain why